2021/2023 IST SCHOLARSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
The International School of Tianjin is once again proud to announce its scholarship program for students in their final two years of school. The purpose of the scholarship program at IST is twofold: first, it provides an outstanding educational opportunity each year for a limited number of current IST students of exceptional talent who are experiencing clearly-demonstrated financial need; and second, it provides that same opportunity to a limited number of non-IST students of exceptional talent in order to enrich the overall quality of both our student population and our IB Diploma Program. This latter group may or may not have financial need.
DESCRIPTION AND VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
The IST scholarships are awarded for a period of up to two years to students about to enter 11th grade. Candidates can apply for one of two categories of scholarship; a tuition/hardship scholarship or a merit/non-financial scholarship.
Tuition Scholarships (Three levels)
• Full scholarships: equivalent to the cost of all tuition (components A & B) for grades 11 and 12.
• Tuition scholarships: equivalent to the cost of tuition only (component B) for grades 11 and 12.
• Bursaries: equivalent to half the cost of tuition (half of component B) for grades 11 and 12.
Merit Scholarship (Non-Financial)
Merit Scholarship: Non-financial scholarship awarded to students who represent IST both academically and socially. Merit scholarships are applicable to candidates who can otherwise afford tuition fees but seek the benefit of laying claim to a scholarship for university applications, etc.
IST scholarship students will benefit from an outstanding education in their final two years of school. Students who successfully complete the two-year programme will be awarded the IST High School Diploma. IST is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, and students have the opportunity to earn the full IB Diploma, which is highly regarded by competitive universities worldwide as an entrance qualification.
A maximum of three IST scholarships or bursaries may be awarded every year to current-IST-student candidates. A similar number will be awarded to students outside of the IST community. The selection process will include examinations, a formal interview, and a final selection by the IST Scholarship Committee of the IST School Board of Governors.
A maximum of four IST scholarships or bursaries may be awarded every year to current-IST-student candidates. A similar number will be awarded to students outside of the IST community. The selection process will include examinations, a formal interview, and a final selection by the IST Scholarship Committee of the IST School Board of Governors.
In making its recommendations, the IST Scholarship Committee will give consideration to:
- Candidates who demonstrate a high level of academic potential
- All applicants must have achieved at least Honor Roll or equivalent in Semester 1 of their Grade 10 year.
- IST candidates must also have achieved at least one semester of High Honors between Grades 9 and 10.
- IST candidates must also include an outline of how they intend to contribute to the school culture and demonstrate the IST philosophy in their application statement.
- Other candidates must be in the top 25 percent of their school class
2. Candidates who have the ability to make a significant contribution to the life of the school
- through heavy involvement in CAS activities
- through active promotion of the IB Diploma programme
- through active leadership within the school community
3. Specifically for current IST students, candidates who have a demonstrated need for financial assistance.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Students of all nationalities are invited to apply for an IST scholarship. Current students at IST with demonstrable financial difficulty are welcome to apply. A strong command of written and spoken English is essential. It is the policy of the school that a family cannot receive more than 1 full scholarship at any given time. Students with other family members currently receiving scholarships may not be offered scholarships for the full two years of the award.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
All candidates should contact the school to receive an application package. The closing date for applications is Friday, February 26th, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered. The scholarship examinations will be held on Saturday, March 6th from 9:00am to 2:30pm. Interviews will be held on or about March 10th. Scholarship awards will be announced by early April.
Candidates can download the required documents from the below links:
Note: Incomplete applications or applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Mr. Steve Moody, Director
#22, Weishan South Road, Shuanggang
Tianjin, P.R. China 300350
Fax: 2859-2007 www.istianjin.org